Energy Performance Certificates for your business premises

When you need an EPC

You must have an EPC if:

You rent out or sell the premises

A building under construction is finished

There are changes to the number of parts used for separate occupation and these changes involve providing or extending fixed heating, air conditioning or mechanical ventilation systems

When you must display one

You must display an EPC by fixing it to your commercial building if all these apply:

The total useful floor area is over 500 square metres

The building is frequently visited by the public

An EPC has already been produced for the building’s sale, rental or construction

How much it costs

The cost of an EPC will depend on the building being assessed. All EPCs are valid for 10 years.

How to get a certificate

You need to arrange a property assessment to get an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC). We can help you find one in your area

The type of assessor you’ll need will depend on the complexity and features of the building. If you need advice on choosing one, speak to a commercial (non-domestic) energy assessor or contact the approved accreditation scheme they belong to.


You do not need an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) if you can demonstrate that the building is any of the following:

Listed or officially protected and the minimum energy performance requirements would unacceptably alter it

A temporary building only going to be used for 2 years or less

used as a place of worship or for other religious activities

An industrial site, workshop or non-residential agricultural building that doesn’t use much energy

A detached building with a total floor space under 50 square metres

Due to be demolished by the seller or landlord and they have all the relevant planning and conservation consents

Vacant buildings and demolition

A building is also exempt if all of the following are true:

It’s due to be sold or rented out with vacant possession

It’s suitable for demolition and the site could be redeveloped

The buyer or tenant has applied for planning permission to demolish it

You can be fined between £500 and £5,000 based on the rateable value of the building if you do not make an EPC available to any prospective buyer or tenant.


Contact us to help with guidance on what is required 

We bring rapid solutions to bring our clients life to ease. Have any questions? We are here to help! Fill this Contact Form and we will get back to you as soon as possible.

Renewable Energy Consultants Ltd

Let's work together to build a greener world

© 2023 All rights reserved